Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chevron Lined Black Out Curtains


I could not find curtains I liked for Little Man's new big boy room, so I sewed my own!! AND since his room is East facing they needed to be blackout curtains!!

So here we have my first time sewing lined curtains!

I also saved some money with these curtains. Little Man's nursery is accented with Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child and it seemed like they were clearing out the color from their nursery lines, I did what any sane person would do!!!! I bought two 94 inch canvas curtains in Silver Sage that were lined with blackout liners for a reality inexpensive price. I planned on using the fabric for many things.... well I am pretty sure I have had the curtains for over a year and didn't touch them until I spent time seem ripping them apart for the blackout lining.....  now I just need to find the time and energy to use the silver sage canvas.....

Assembling the curtains with the liner was pretty easy, the blackout liner is just heavy so its a lot of fabric to work with!

1. Finish the bottom edge of your patterned fabric. I made mine 2 inches wide.
2. Since I was reusing blackout lining, I did not have to finish the bottom edge of my blackout lining, but if you are using new blackout fabric you should do that now! 
3. Pin the right side of the patterned curtain to the right side of the blackout curtain. Your blackout linning will be a few inches shorter than your decorative fabric.
4. Sew the first side together.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other long side.
6. Flip your curtain so it is now right side out.
7. You should now have some over lap on the backside of your curtains of the patterned fabric. You may want to iron this edge now.
8. Sew your top edge. I made mine 3.5 inches wide.
9. Determine how you will hang your curtains, in my case I used grommets, so I then installed my grommets.
10 Hang and enjoy!!!! 

Little Man's new curtains in his room!!! Look at all of the light the grommets allow you to have when they easily open!
AND look how they actually do block out the light from outside!!!
Little Man's new big boy room is taking shape!!!! I am so excited for it to be done!

5 comments:

  1. I love how your curtains turned out! I'm so glad to be following you, you've got a great blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing..I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.
    Childrens Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not find curtains I liked for Little Man's new big boy room, so I sewed my own!! AND since his room is East facing they needed to be ... bblackoutcurtains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like most young kids, my son's bedroom curtains are curtains that have been passed down from the previous owners.

    They were just plain curtains with no fun designs or characters on them. That is where I come in!

    I knew I wanted to make curtains for his new big boy room... But blackout curtains are not known for being cute so I was a little makes curtains I loved but also blackout curtains. It was a daunting task, but I knew if anyone could do it, it would be me!

    ReplyDelete